Human trafficking is the illegal distribution and sale of girls and boys for the purpose of forced labor and commercialization of sex through exploitation.
Jada tapped into her inner Diane Sawyer to interview, be interviewed, narrate and exec-produce CNN’s special report; “Children for Sale: The Fight to End Human Trafficking.” The report is one-part “How to Catch a Predator” where a Georgia-based special victims unit detective races around the state to nab exploiters. Mostly found at the airport where most human trafficking is committed.
The second half. The most important half. The part that’ll make you want to lock your sons, daughters, nieces and nephews in their room forever–is when we meet the survivors. The teenager so desperate for friends she’s lured into the sex trade by a friendly face. Her void of companionship was filled with a series of johns.
“I had sex with almost 40 guys in one day,” recalls the teen when describing her abuse.
Jada Pinkett Smith boosted her advocacy of human trafficking after learning from her own daughter, Willow Smith, that human trafficking is right in their backyard.
In 2012, Mrs Will Smith appealed to Congress to create tougher sanctions for human trafficking aka modern day slavery.
Five Takeaways from CNN Special Report: ” Children for Sale”
- Girls or Boys that feel lost or abandoned are susceptible to being Human Trafficked
- A pimp could easily trade a girl or recruit her by making eye contact.
- An average human trafficker in Atlanta can make $32,000 a week.
- Georgia is one of the largest states for human trafficking. The state’s airport is cesspool for human traffickers to export and import victims.
- Human traffickers target social media sites like Facebook and Instagram to recruit girls.
Jada says she was motivated to do something when she saw herself in all the human trafficking survivors she met. Just as they were vulnerable to fill a void, so was she, pointing to her absent father as the reason. Good thing Big Willy was there to love and not exploit her. A wish she has for all the survivors.
“They have so much to offer humanity if we just give them a chance.” says Jada.