Today is Trayvon Martin’s birthday. He would’ve turned 21 today. Likely to swap those Skittles and Iced Tea for a ceremonious Corona. Sadly we’ll never know because the last time he blew out his candles (at 17) a full month hadn’t passed where he could feel the full weight of them.
And with each milestone that passes we feel the anger and trauma. Yet, it can’t blind us from fulfilling the wishes Trayvon had and others just like him–Sean Bell, Akai Gurley, Freddie Gray and Mike Brown. But guide us to create our own wishlist in their honor.
1. We wish you an eternity of peace. Freedom from judgment and harassment for being who you are.
2. We wish you could see how strong your parents are coping, with you gone.
3. Our wish is that you’re an angel. A guardian angel protecting innocent lives and shielding them against evil in all its many forms.
4. We wish you have a never ending supply of candy and Arizona Iced T wherever you are.
5. We wish you knew that you’re a history maker and tide changer. A symbol to a historic movement–not a statistic.
6. We wish your birthday, your life will never be forgotten.
7. We wish you could have made it to space, for real. But, we’ll settle with seeing you amongst the stars.
8. We wish football and snowboarding is as much fun in heaven as it is down here.
9. We wish you are roaming freely with your hoodie up.
10. We wish you are among good company.
11. We wish your life mattered more
12. We wish justice was served in your murder
13. We wish you could see the impact of your foundaton.
14. We wish you can see your brother grow into the man you should have been.
15. We wish your life mattered
16. We wish your life mattered
17. We wish your life mattered
18. We wish your life mattered
19. We wish your life mattered
20. We wish your life mattered
21. We wish you were here to keep wishing.